Thursday, January 31, 2013

Katherine Watson: There are seven law schools within 45 minutes of Philadelphia. You can study and get dinner on the table by 5:00. 
Joan Brandwyn: It's too late. 
Katherine Watson: No, some of them accept late admissions! Now, I was upset at first, I can tell you that. When Tommy came to me at the dance and told me he was accepted to Penn, I thought, 'Oh God, her fate is sealed! She's worked so hard, how can she throw it all away?' But then I realized you won't have to! You can bake your cake and eat it too! It's just wonderful! 
Joan Brandwyn: We're married. We eloped over the weekend. Turned out he was petrified of a bit ceremony, so we did a sort of spur-of-the-moment thing. Very romantic. 
[Katherine is stunned
Joan Brandwyn: It was my choice, not to go. He would have supported it. 
Katherine Watson: But you don't have to choose! 
Joan Brandwyn: No, I have to. I want a home, I want a family! That's not something I'll sacrifice. 
Katherine Watson: No one's asking you to sacrifice that, Joan. I just want you to understand that you can do both. 
Joan Brandwyn: Do you think I'll wake up one morning and regret not being a lawyer? 
Katherine Watson: Yes, I'm afraid that you will. 
Joan Brandwyn: Not as much as I'd regret not having a family, not being there to raise them. I know exactly what I'm doing and it doesn't make me any less smart. This must seem terrible to you. 
Katherine Watson: I didn't say that. 
Joan Brandwyn: Sure you did. You always do. You stand in class and tell us to look beyond the image, but you don't. To you a housewife is someone who sold her soul for a center hall colonial. She has no depth, no intellect, no interests. You're the one who said I could do anything I wanted. This is what I want. 
Share this quote

No comments: